Today I’m going over five things you can expect during your first year of homeownership.
What can you expect during your first year of homeownership? You’ve done all of the work of closing on your first home, but there are five things you should be prepared for now that you’re all moved in:
1. Something is going to break. Prepare yourself mentally and financially for something to go wrong. It might be your dishwasher or perhaps your A/C, but something is going to break. Just remember when it happens that it’s not the end of the world and that’s why you have home insurance.
2. You’ll get a ton of junk mail. You’ll get ads from everywhere, but you’ll also get some great coupons and other valuable offers. Throw out the junk, but make sure you hold onto the good stuff.
3. Your social circle is going to expand. You’re part of a community now, so get to know it! Say hi to people when taking out your trash or working in the yard and you’ll start to build lifelong friendships.
4. Your dreams will meet reality. You might have some great plans to add on a sunroom or embark on a grand remodel, but you’ll realize those plans might have to take a back seat for awhile. It costs a lot of money to furnish a home, and having beds for the bedrooms and living room furniture for the living room is going to be a priority over that sunroom.
5. It’s going to cost more than what you planned for. Furniture, drapes, kitchen appliances, and everything else you’ll need for your new space is going to add up. Don’t get too stressed! Learn to rebudget and keep moving forward.
If you have any other questions about what to expect during your first year of homeownership, or if you are looking to buy or sell a home, please feel free to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you!