Here are my five tips for how to continue living in your for-sale home.
How can you continue to live in your home once you put it on the market? Your home has always been your sanctuary, your personal space, but now it’s listed for sale and will get a ton of foot traffic. This can get very stressful and make it difficult to continue living your regular life in your house, especially if you have young children. So here are five tips to help you continue living your life in your for-sale home and keep things a bit less hectic:
1. Start packing now. Packing and storing boxes in the basement or garage is completely acceptable. We want to open up as much space as possible; we’re emphasizing floor space and square footage, so the larger it feels, the more money you’ll get.
2. Sell, donate, or throw it away. While you’re packing, try to get rid of things you don’t need. My suggestion is if you haven’t touched an item in a year and it’s not an heirloom or memory, it’s time to part with it.
3. Get squeaky clean. A clean, cared-for house can net you $5,000 to $10,000 more for your sale. Shoot for five-star hotel perfection when cleaning, and focus particularly on bathrooms, the kitchen, windows, and floors. Make it sparkle!
4. Maintain privacy and safety. Buyers are going to be looking through closets and other areas people wouldn’t usually see. Ensure there’s nothing valuable or personal anywhere that they could find. If you’re unsure about an item, be on the safe side and lock it away somewhere secure (this includes medications).
5. Involve your kids. Nothing is better than having your kids be part of the selling process. The easiest way is through games or a reward system so they’ll help you clean the house and prepare it for showings. You won’t believe how motivated kids can get when there’s something fun tied to a chore.
If you’d like to dig deeper into the tips above or have any questions about them or real estate in general, please shoot us an email or give us a call at (508) 422-9750. If you have a topic you’d like us to make a video about, let us know about that too. We would love to help in any way we can.